In the anime Yuri bore a striking resemblance to her youngest son Yukio with her pale skin, wavy dark brown hair, and teal eyes. She also had a few moles on her face, just like Yukio. Her normal attire consisted of a black coat, a pink scarf, and a dark blue skirt. On casual days, Yuri was usually seen wearing a simple white sundress.
In the manga, she is much the same, though her eyes are notably like Rin's.
In the anime, her personality was somewhat like Rin's, rebelling against her father's wishes by living in the forest. Despite being an Exorcist, she thought of Demons, such as the Goblins and the Snowmen, as her friends. She believed Demons enter Assiah because they were curious, rather than to deliberately cause damage. She was kind, as she wasn't afraid of Satan, even feeling sorry for him.
In the manga, Shura notes her as being bright and kind, and while she appears less aggressive than her anime counterpart, these traits remain the same.
Note: these facts are anime-only: Yuri's backstory has not been confirmed in the manga.
While on a mission to investigate spontaneous human combustion, Yuri and her fellow Exorcists were attacked by Satan's blue flames. Burning all of her companions except her, Yuri is mysteriously unaffected. She eventually found Satan possessing a wolf and pitied him for he could never enter Assiah because his vessels would reduce to ashes. She said, "That's so lonely... no matter how much you love something, it just turns into ashes in your hands. That's so sad..."
She allowed Satan to possess her where she taught him about life and death. This caused her to eventually be impregnated by him.When Shiro Fujimoto was shooting her friends to convince her to come home, Yuri let out blue flames, revealing Satan. After Yuri revealed to Shiro that she was pregnant with Satan's children, she was put into court at the Vatican and was sentenced to death as a witch. Before she could be burned alive, Satan saved her by using her father as his vessel and commanded her to run. Mephisto freed Shiro from prison and they encountered a hospitalized Ernst, who ordered them to find and kill Yuri and Satan's spawns. They went into the forest and found Yuri with her newborn children, whom she named Rin and Yukio. She soon died of childbirth.
Shiro, using Kurikara, was about to slay them until he saw Rin smile at him. Remembering what Yuri said to him before, Shiro decides to raise her children as his own, much to Mephisto's amusement. Then, Mephisto seals Rin's powers inside Kurikara, and challenges Shiro to a bet.
She is briefly mentioned by Satan, who claims his flames destroyed her body, along with all other bodies he possessed.
Her name is mentioned during Rin's trial, the first time she's directly mentioned.
Later, Yukio learns from Satan that it was Ernst himself who ordered Yuri's execution. It was revealed that Yuri wishes for a world were Assiah and Gehenna don't exist so that humans and Demons can live peacefully. Satan attempts to fulfill her wish by engulfing Assiah with the Gehenna Gate. However, Rin and Yukio were able to destroy the Gate and stop Satan. Satan apologizes to Yuri but she tells him it wasn't time yet and that their sons will choose their own path.
A month after the incident, Mephisto gives the brothers a key to lead them to the forest where they were born and where Yuri died. The Snowmen accompany them to her grave, which was possibly made for her by Shiro.
Shura Kirigakure tells the Okumura twins about having met their mother when she was younger. Shiro Fujimoto attempted to get Yuri to adopt Shura, but Yuri refused because she could tell that Shura wanted to stay with Shiro.
Powers & Abilities
In the anime, she was shown to be immune to Satan's flames, as even when Satan possessed her body, she was not incinerated by or even covered with the blue flames.
- (To Shiro Fujimoto shortly after giving birth) "The one with blue flames is Rin. The pale-skinned one is Yukio. They will... live strong... they will prove that Demons and humans can understand each other."
- (To Satan while in wolf form) "It must be so lonely... for everything to be reduced to ashes in your hands,no matter how much you want to cherish them.It must be so sad..."
- Although commonly a male name in other languages, "Yuri" (written as 百合, ゆり, or ユリ) is a common female name meaning "Lily" in Japan.
- Her history in the anime contradicts what Satan said about her in the beginning of the series, as Satan claims his flames destroyed Rin's mother's body, while in the anime she was shown to be immune to his flames when the past was revealed.
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 1, Page 49
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 14, Page 30
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Anime: Episode 22
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Anime: Episode 23
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Anime: Episode 25
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Anime: Episode 25