"It's like I'm seeing my old self when I look at you. The realization that my life's path had been decided before I was even born. For years I was unable to voice my doubts. Like a dog, I worked for the organization...and for my family...I wanted to be like my older brother and father. But what is left for me if I lived like that? Nothing...That's why I decided I would acknowledge these feelings of mine. Despising my father... my older brother...the Organization... and every single thing in this world! And you know what? It felt wonderful once I admitted it. As if all the missing pieces of me just fell into place."
As an Exorcist Saburota wears the distinctive black Exorcist coat over a short-sleeved shirt and a stripy tie. He has dark spiky hair with a light tuft protruding from his left side.
In his first Demon form, he has dark, furry, feline-like ears with horns protruding from his forehead. For a time, he has the left eye of the Impure King implanted into his own left eye, but removed it to resurrect the Impure King.
After consuming Karura, Saburota transforms into a young adult from a middle- aged man due to the youth granting power of the Phoenix. He also has wing-like growths near his ears around his cheeks area and enlarged canines, and his pupils have become dilated or slit-like. He also does not wear spectacles anymore after they were destroyed partially. He wears a light buttoned-up coat with a belt.
Saburota is shown to be rather sadistic person and is willing manipulate anyone in order to achieve his goals. He seems to have no qualms in killing people too. He turns sour towards anything relating to family relationships because of his past.
When Saburota was young, he consistently tried to do his best in his work as a way to impress his two older brothers and gain recognition from his family members. However, it seems that his older brothers outdid him even more. This led to him being treated differently by his family and a strong hatred towards his older brothers and family members grew because of it. This was the reason he began having ill sentiments about Exorcists and ended up joining forces with the Illuminati.
Saburota is one of the Exorcists sent out to retrieve back the Left Eye of the Impure King. He chases after the culprit, who takes Satoru as a hostage. He and the other Exorcists corner the culprit. The culprit reveals the stolen Left Eye, releases the miasma, and barricades himself in a building. When approached by Shura, Yukio, and Rin, Saburota explains what happened to the culprit and the hostage. He panics, criticizing himself that the robbery of the Left Eye is the worst humiliation to the history of the Order. He puts on a protective suit and accompanies Yukio into the building.
As Yukio finds out that the Left Eye held by the culprit is fake, Saburota kicks him in the head and rips off his protective suit, revealing himself to be possessed by a Demon. Yukio focuses his attention on Rin and Satoru, and is kicked once again in the back of the head. Saburota pins Yukio to the ground and tells him that he was once a lot like Yukio and that he had become a Demon. He finally tells the brothers that he is glad to talk to them and then disappears into the shadows.
Later, he makes a diversion in the form of a decoy car which Yukio and his assistants follow, while he steals the Left Eye himself. He talks to Mamushi Hojo on the top of Kyoto Tower, telling her it is the right time to steal the Right Eye of the Impure King.
Later, when the Impure King is released, he abandons Mamushi. He later reappears to wound Takama as he was about to contain the Impure King. Revealing that he was not really after the Impure King, Saburota takes Karura and consumes it, to Takama's disbelief. Saburota then leaves Takama to die.
When Saburota was about to kill Yukio, he stepped back (he claims he did so instinctively). Saburota was surprised and delighted upon seeing Yukio's eyes glowing with blue flames and knew that there was more of Yukio than being just the twin of Rin. Just as he was about to say more about his 'plan' with Yukio, the other Exorcists arrive.
Juzo and Saburota fight, only for Saburota to absorb all of his fire attacks. After a while, however, Saburota's body starts to break down from absorbing all the energy. However, he begins to regenerate, and starts taunting Yukio about his reluctance to affiliate himself with demons. After he is hit by Juzo, Yukio comes to his senses, and shoots Saburota with Naiad bullets until his body totally disintegrates.
However, Saburota survives. He is later seen greeting Lucifer on the success of opening the Illuminati's Gehenna Gate.
Saburota is not seen throughout the arc, but it becomes evident that he is a high-ranking member. He is shown to be especially interested in Yukio, and gave advice to Lucifer that Yukio is an interesting character.
Saburota greets Renzo after he apprehends Hachirotaro in his weakened state. Renzo thanks him for waiting, explaining that there are about 100 men searching with Black Dogs, so they should hurry and take Hachirotaro away. Saburota, however, states that he's been feeling very well recently, and that Karura is finally synchronized with him, then saying that he's sure he could face them all on his own. Renzo asks him not to do that, and then hands over Hachitaro as promised.
Lucifer contacts them through a laptop. Impressed that Rin's flames were not capable of destroying Hachirotaro, Lucifer says the demon will serve as durable material and tells them to take it to Dominus Liminis. He then tells Saburota that the True Cross knights are closely watching immortal demons, which makes gathering material more and more difficult, so he should be careful, to which Saburota complies.
Lucifer says that means it may be necessary to prepare his father's body with the materials they already have, and that is why he needs both Saburota and Renzo, "the chosen ones". He asks Saburota if he knows what that means, and Saburota gives a positive answer, adding that that is why he keeps them both alive. Saburota asks Renzo how Yukio's recruitment is going, and Renzo says he thinks it is going well but Lucifer told him not to force it. Saburota says that winning him over could improve their position, and adds that he likes that boy and hopes to see him again, telling Renzo to keep up his work.
Powers & Abilities
Saburota has claimed the titles of Aria, Tamer, and Doctor but has yet to show this. Because of his Demon abilities, he has faster reflexes.
Saburota is able to regenerate any injuries on his body at a fast speed, almost as fast as Rin's recovery speed. However, his regeneration can be limited somewhat by rain.
Saburota can manipulate the flames he acquired from Karura. He is shown throwing them in a knife-like form towards Yukio and Tatsuma Suguro. When being attacked by Ucchusma's fire, he can absorb the flames. Wherever he runs or jumps, the flames surround and follow him. He is limited in how much fire he can absorb, as seen when his body began to break down when he absorbed too much of the fire.
Saburota is seen is to have brute strength.
- He belongs to a famous family of Exorcists.
- His Exorcist's license has been revoked.
- The Order has issued a warrant for his arrest.
- His pastimes and talents include tracking down local Japanese sake brews.
- His average bath time is 3 hours.
- His favorite phrase is "Lonely on a straight road" (from the haiku by Santoka Taneda).
- He does not listen to music.
- He spends his days off with a bowl of soba noodles and a cup of Japanese sake.
- The streak of white in his hair changes sides from time to time.
- It can be seen upon close inspection that his glasses are bifocals.
- (To Yukio Okumura) "It's like I'm seeing my old self when I look at you. The realization that my life's path had been decided before I was even born. For years I was unable to voice my doubts. Like a dog, I worked for the organization...and for my family...I wanted to be like my older brother and father. But what is left for me if I lived like that? Nothing...That's why I decided I would acknowledge these feelings of mine. Despising my father...my older brother...the Organization...and every single thing in this world! And you know what? It felt wonderful once I admitted it. As if all the missing pieces of me just fell into place."
- (To Yukio Okumura) "There is weakness in everyone's heart. Are you too scared to acknowledge that, I wonder?"
- (To Yukio Okumura) "Admit it. You think 'this is not fair', 'this suffering... this injustice...', 'I can't take it anymore.'. You truly hate your brother, don't you?"
- (To Renzo Shima) "Well, I've been feeling pretty good recently, and Karura is finally in tune with me! I bet I could take them all!"
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Page 32
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 26-28
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Ao no Exorcist Anime: Small Beginnings
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 3-5
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 7-14
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 15-29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Pages 27-29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Pages 29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Pages 29-32
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Pages 32-33
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 11.2 11.3 11.4 11.5 11.6 11.7 11.8 Ao no Exorcist Manga: Volume 5
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 21-23
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Page 29
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Page 30
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Pages 25-27
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 16, Page 27
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 28, Pages 21-22
- ↑ Ao no Exorcist Manga: Chapter 80, Pages 27-28
|Members||Female Illuminati Member • Lund • Renzo Shima • Saburota Todo • Strom|
|Deceased||Maria Yoshida (Researcher) • Michael Gedōin (Researcher)|