|“||I'm gonna defeat Satan!||”|
|Height||181 cm (5'11" feet)|
|Hair||Brown and Blonde|
|Relatives||Tatsuma Suguro (Father)|
Torako Suguro (Mother)
|Meister Type||Aria, Dragoon (in training), Tamer (manga only)|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 2|
|Anime Debut||Episode 3|
|Japanese Voice||Kazuya Nakai|
|English Voice||Kyle Hebert|
Ryūji Suguro ( 勝呂 竜士 Suguro Ryūji), also called Bon, is an Exwire at the True Cross Academy, where he is Rin's rival and the prodigy in the class. He is the child of the Head Priest of a temple that was destroyed during the Blue Night, and as such vows to defeat Satan.
Ryūji is an adolescent boy with a rough exterior and well as a small goatee on his chin. Ryūji s most distinguishable physical traits are his stern expression giving him a scary, unapproachable appearance and the large blonde streak that runs down his natural short and messy dark brown hair. Ryūji also has multiple piercings in his ears, which combined with his demeanor and hairstyle, make him appear like a typical delinquent. He wears a beige-colored vest that has a pink "V" at the neck of it, with a base brown colored tie that has black and white stripes, which he wears underneath the Academy's jacket.
Though his appearance is rebellious, his personality is the exact opposite of his appearance. He's stern and takes everything seriously or too seriously as Konekomaru stated. His hardworking streak comes from his desire to defeat Satan for turning his temple into a cursed temple in the eyes of the public. He is shown to dislike people who don't work hard and slack off during classes, such as Rin who occasionally slept in class and Ryūji telling him to just get lost because everyone in class was serious about being an Exorcist. He dislikes it when people look down on him, an emotion triggered because of his childhood where people called him the "Child of the Cursed Temple". He is a very strong willed and determined person as shown when he was ready to face the Leaper just to show just how determined he was to become an Exorcist.
However, there is a different side in his personality as well. He constantly gets into fights with Izumo and Rin usually because of their different views. He can be quite immature as shown when he fights with Rin for small reasons such as food. He can be calm and collected and he can be bad tempered and violent in other times. He is said to be so similar to Rin that they don't get along because of it. He has a lot of arguments with his father.
He's a prodigy and entered the same school under the same scholarship as Yukio there is known to be the youngest Exorcist. He is a top student in his class and got 98 out of 100 in one of their earlier tests. He can also seem to memorize things easily as it's shown that he can remember 21 scripts from the bible. He loves teamwork and often lectures Rin on this subject. He apparently cannot tolerate being protected by girls.
- Ryūji is referred to as "cock head" by his family due to the middle part of his hair being dyed yellow like a chicken.
- The name "Bon" is a shortened nickname created from the title "Bocchan", which means "young master". As the son of the owner of a ryokan and a highly respected individual at his hometown, Bon is in many ways a "young master" (Izumo makes a comment about it as well).
- He wakes up at 5:30 a.m. everyday.
- He gets migraines.
- His favorite word is "Karma".
- Ryūji's pastimes and talents includes: memorization, cleaning and zen meditation.
- His average bath time is 20 minutes.
- He is a bit of a neat freak.
- He spend his days off by cleaning, meditating and about two hours of weight lifting and jogging.
- He worries about his tendency to glare.
- Ryūji's favorite music genres are: rock, American/European and Japanese.
- Like Renzō Shima, Konekomaru Miwa, Kinzō Shima and Jūzō Shima, Ryūji speaks in Kansai-ben (Kansai Dialect).
- If one looks closely, Ryūji, or a character resembling him, can be seen behind Mephisto Pheles in Chapter 1.
- Ryūji once proposed to Yoshikuni at childhood
- ( To Okumura Rin) "I'm gonna defeat Satan!"
- (To Izumo Kamiki) "Don't laugh at other people's ambition!"
- ( To Izumo Kamiki) "You're such a foul woman. People will avoid you if you keep it up!"
- (To Tatsuma Suguro)" I... truly liked hearing Pops chant the sutra."
- (To Konekomaru Miwa) " He's so stupid he'd forget to die even if he got killed!