|“||I'm not a human or a Demon anymore. I have no choice but to go forward! I'll become an Exorcist!||”|
Son of Satan
December 27th, 1995
|Base of Operations|
Shirō Fujimoto (Adoptive Father)
Akeno Watanabe (Child)
Rin Okumura is the main protagonist of the story. He and his younger twin brother, Yukio, were born as the twin sons of Satan, the King of Gehenna, and Yuri Egin, a fledgling Exorcist. He attends the True Cross Academy to become a Knight, an Exorcist who specializes in the use of bladed weapons to defeat Demons.
Rin has messy, jet-black hair (dark blue in the anime) that sweeps down in his eyes, pale skin, and intense blue eyes. While in his human form, Rin exhibits a number of physical traits that hint at his Demonic nature, such as prominent canine teeth and slightly pointed ears. After using Kurikara for the first time, Rin also gains a black, fur-tufted tail that he usually keeps hidden under his shirt.
As a Demon, Rin gains two, horn-like blue flames floating above his head, long elf-like ears, and slitlike red pupils while his irises remain a deep blue. The blue flames also blaze around other places of his body, mostly at the tip of his tail.
Before going to the True Cross Academy, Rin's wardrobe consisted of a blue hoodie over a pink T-shirt and a pair of black jeans with chains on the side, giving the impression of a rebellious nature. He was also seen wearing a white jacket with big pockets and various decorations on it and a fingerless pair of black gloves. Because of how often he got into fights, Rin was seen with band-aids over his cheeks and fingers, wounds which were usually taken care of by Yukio.
While in True Cross Academy, Rin wears the school's uniform, which consists of a white shirt, a loose necktie, a black jacket, and black pants. He is also seen carrying around Kurikara in a red sleeve over his back and shoulder with a black strap. In class, he is occasionally seen with his bangs pinned up so he can read his studies.
Rin has a protective and supportive personality. He can be very violent and tends to get into fights (which are usually caused by strong emotions) but is actually kindhearted. He supports his friends and tries to encourage and help them. He also seems very protective of Yukio, and aims to surpass him one day. Rin is clueless at times, such as saying phrases wrong or thinking that the Kraken's fins are ears. Despite this, he is able to connect with someone's feelings to his own, such as Shiemi Moriyama's grief over her grandmother and Ryūji Suguro's ambition to defeat Satan. He's not the type of person for school or studying, though he was able to gain a junior high diploma and become an Exwire.
Unlike his younger brother, Rin is immature, which leads other people into believing that he is the younger twin out of Yukio and himself. He is headstrong (figuratively as well as literally) and is often very open with his friends. However, when his friends found out about his Demon heritage, some became afraid of him, and thought that he was unstable and thus dangerous, but they slowly got used to him and accepted him during the Kyoto Arc. During the anime Rin thinks about the past of the day his father died and also what Yukio thought of him the first day of Exorcist class.
He seems to have a small soft-spot for animals. In the beginning of the manga, the reason he had gotten into a fight with Reiji Shiratori and his delinquent gang was because they were shooting down pigeons (torturing them).
- His name means phosphorus in kanji which comes from Greek meaning "light bearer." In Latin it means Lucifer, a fallen angel cast down from the heavens.
- According to the kanji used for his surname, Okumura means "heart village" or "the heart of a village".
- Some Demons call Rin "Prince" or "Young Master" due to his heritage.
- Rin's favorite pastimes are: cooking, sleeping, eating, and spacing out.
- Rin's favorite manga genres are: action, comedy, and emotional drama.
- Rin's favorite type of girls are: fun, kind-hearted girls, even some that are shy and yet strong.
- He is surprisingly good with his hands.
- His cooking repertoire includes a wide variety of Japanese and Western foods.
- Rin's favorite food is Sukiyaki.
- Rin sleeps 11 hours a day.
- He has a "Cool Dudes According to Me" ranking in order from coolest to least cool: Shirō, Ryūji, Konekomaru, himself [Rin], Kuro, and Yukio. Shima doesn't even make the list.
- Kazue Kato states that the twin brothers' names were originally switched around, meaning that Rin's name was meant to be Yukio.
- The original concept of Rin had a personality that resembled Ryūji, being able to crush an apple with his fist. He also had a tattoo-like burnt scar on his face, but Kato's editor didn't want her to do that.
- (To Mephisto Pheles) "Let me join you! I don't care what you people say... I'm not Satan's son... I'm no relation to that filthy beast!! My only father... is the old man...!"
- (To Mephisto Pheles) "I'll kick Satan's ass!"
- (To Yukio Okumura) "I'm an idiot like you said, so whatever you say about me doesn't matter, but you know... Don't you dare point a gun at your own brother!"
- (To Amaimon) "I'll use my power... For gentler purposes!"